Live Playlist with folders

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

Live Playlist with folders

Postby nmd » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 am

I created a file resource pointed to a folder with media in multiple subfolders. If I create a live playlist using that file resource, only files in the main folder play, not any subfolders. Is there no way to create a live playlist to play through media in multiple folders?
nmd

Re: Live Playlist with folders

Postby admin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Hello,

Suppose you have a virtual folder named mediaroot and it has a subfolder named 1.

When just playing files on demand, you can select "Play playlist" in Streaming Media Player, and specify mediaroot, or mediaroot\1
and it will play all these files in either folder or subfolder, one by one, as a playlist. You can view the whole playlist in the player and select a file to play.
A subfolder is a separate playlist, it contains only the files residing in subfolder.
That's files playlist.

Live playlist is completely different.
When creating live playlist with Media Server Configurator, you can add live broadcasts to it, as well as individual files, and virtual folders.
So you can add a mediaroot virtual folder to your live playlist. But you cannot add mediaroot\1 to your live playlist.
To add mediaroot\1, you need to create a separate virtual folder pointing to \1 subfolder, let's call it mediaroot1.
Then you can add mediaroot1 to your live playlist.
And you play it by selecting "Play live broadcast" in Streaming Media Player.
admin
Site Admin

Postby nmd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 am

Yes I was looking to play files in multiple folders as a single playlist. I worked around the issue by writing a script to copy the folder structure into a single folder with the files in the right order by name. Now I am facing a different issue. Sometimes a client will skip the end of a specific file, and after awhile it will be so far behind it plays around 30 seconds of each file and then keeps skipping to the next one but never catches up. I'm not sure if it's because the client is falling behind or the server thinks the files are not as long as they actually are. This is even with the Unreal Media Player as opposed to another player. Anything I can do to fix it?

I've been looking for software to replace the broadcast functionality of Windows Media Services which is not supported past Windows Server 2008 R2, and Unreal is so close except for this one issue!
nmd

Postby admin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:58 am

Try to play these problematic files individually, and/or create a playlist containing only these files - do you still see this problem?
Are these files very short (less than 30 sec)?
Are you playing in unicast mode or multicast?
admin
Site Admin

Postby nmd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 am

So it seems like it might be an issue with WMA audio files. MP3s so far seem to be reliable. However, I can play the same list of WMA files in a playlist fine. It's like the server can't tell how long the WMA files are when broadcasting.
nmd

Postby nmd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:03 am

Further testing shows it might be specific to older WMA files. These are files ripped from audio CDs about 15 years ago using Windows Media Player. More recent WMA files seem to be ok. I may have to try and track down the original CDs and see if re-converting them with the latest version of Windows Media Player fixes the problem.
nmd

Postby admin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:38 am

Also, it may be related to version of Windows Media Format Runtime that you have installed on the server computer.
For WMV/WMA files Unreal Media Server uses Windows Media Format Runtime (as a splitter) to stream these files.

Try to upgrade to the latest runtime - install Windows Media Player, or, on the server OS, install Desktop Experience/Media Foundation features.
admin
Site Admin

Postby nmd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Well ultimately I decided to fix the issue by re-encoding all my wma files into mp3 format. So far so good...
nmd

Return to Streaming Files