Web RTC on Android

Issues when playing with WebRTC Player

Web RTC on Android

Postby les » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:57 am

Hi

I have Web RTC working well over HTTPS and it will work fine on H264 on computers and Ipad Iphone but it wont work on Android. The only way I can get it to work on Android is to use VP8 or VP9 (both work on a new tablet) then it works perfectly on Android but not on Apple of course. On computers its working perfectly on everything.

I have tried the three modes of H264 and with or without audio but the error message is always the same.

The error message when trying to play on Android with H264 is: Error: Initialisation of peer connection failed

I have tried on various phones and tablets in case it was a version but no success yet.

I am publishing from the Web RTC web page.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now

LES...
les

Re: Web RTC on Android

Postby les » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 am

Sorry slight mistake only VP8 on Android as you said, I had not applied the setting during the test - but H264 not working and coming up with error as stated.

Cheers for now

LES...
les

Postby admin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:51 am

Are you using Chrome browser on your Androids?

Does our WebRTC demo H264 stream work on your Androids?
http://umediaserver.net/umediaserver/de ... layer.html

On your publishing page (what OS/browser it runs on?), what video resolution are you using?
Try to set something lower than a full HD, see if that makes any difference.
admin
Site Admin

Postby les » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi

Yes I am using Chrome browser on Androids and PC. Changed the H264 profiles and also the resolution and bit rates etc. but it makes no difference, androids report failure of peer connection when streaming from the computers to android devices (also tried Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 10 64 bit in case this made any difference) and this is also the case on the umedia demo page, but all works fine on computers and Ipad.

However I have discovered by loading the streaming web page by mistake that I can stream from an android galaxy J3 phone using the web page and it works really well then on computers and androids even with HD and also using any of the three profiles. I also then tried streaming using the web page from a 15 inch android tablet and that also works well and can be viewed on computers and android devices too. But when streaming from the android devices ipad and iphone report unspecified video codec in SDP and state that it should be VP8 VP9 or H264, even though H264 is selected on the web page.

I have also tried streaming from Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 from the web page and again it works fine (on baseline is best) on computers and on ipad / iphone on H264 but not Android unless VP8 is selected.

So it seems to follow the Androids. Could it be something to do with the Android OS in the UK being different from that where the system was developed? Just a thought he he.

Cheers for now

LES...
les

Postby admin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Let's do one thing at a time - let's not mix
a. publishing via WebRTC to the server
b. streaming via WebRTC from the server to browser viewers

Let's first talk about b: streaming via WebRTC from the server to WebRTC player in the browser
Does this webpage:
http://umediaserver.net/umediaserver/de ... layer.html
play on your androids?
What about your H264 IP cameras? Can your androids play these via WebRTC?

Let's sort that out first and then talk about publishing.
admin
Site Admin

Postby les » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:14 am

Hi - yes good idea

OK with Web RTC I can play your demo page and my IP cameras no problem on computers and on apple but on Android its the same message which is "ERROR. Initialization of peer connection failed" This is the same message for any of my H264 RTSP cameras or the demo page from your site via Web RTC on Android, but computers and apple work just fine.

Cheers for now

LES...
les

Postby admin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:22 am

Hey,

Yes, it appears that Android Chrome currently supports H264 in WebRTC only on some Androids with hardware H264 support.
Qualcomm (Kitkat and later) and Samsung Exynos (Lollipop and later) chipsets are supported for sure.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/367 ... oid-webrtc
https://support.tokbox.com/hc/en-us/art ... c-projects

All our Androids work fine, and you are the first one reporting that issue.

Also, there are some suggestions that you can enable the software H264 encoder in Android Chrome by setting this flag:
chrome://flags/#enable-webrtc-h264-with-openh264-ffmpeg

Give it a try please
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Update on this:

We have tried dozens of different Androids - Samsung, Pixel, LG, Sony, Motorola devices, different models - works fine.

We only found one device - Blu Vivo phone, where we get the exact same error, because Chrome doesn't offer H264 codec in WebRTC PeerConnection SDP on this device.
The strange thing is - MSE player works fine on that device with the same Chrome, same H264 content. Google developers, ohhh.

To summarize, seems like you have one of these rare cheap Android devices that don't have hardware H264 support.
admin
Site Admin

Postby les » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:26 am

Hi

Yes I think you are correct.

The trying to make chrome work with the data you sent was not successful and we tried lots of Androids now, many of us have Galaxy J3 with Lollipop or higher but it would not work on any of these.

However when we got hold of a galaxy S6 with Android 7 it works perfectly fine immediately so it looks like as you said it must be good quality modern Androids to work with latest OS. Even if you buy a new device it must be the new model and OS or it wont be compatible - which is fair enough you cant expect new things to always work on older OS or hardware, things move fast so you got to keep up to date all the time.

thanks for your efforts and we have learnt something new now:)

Cheers for now

LES...
les

Return to Playing with WebRTC Player