Unable to play stream with HTML5 MSE player using HTTPS

Issues when playing live broadcasts with Unreal HTML5 MSE player on a web page

Unable to play stream with HTML5 MSE player using HTTPS

Postby geirhh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:54 am

Hi,

I have previously successfully used Mediaserver to play streams through a web application (HTTP). Now I'm moving on to HTTPS with secure WebSockets but with no success.

If I understand correctly the port used for HTTPS/WSS is by default 443 and is found under SSL Settings for MediaServer properties. Have also changed SSL certificate and private key to a valid SSL certificate (Lets Encrypt).

To initiate playing stream on web page the following JavaScript statement is executed:
RunPlayer('UnrealPlayer1', 640, 480, 'video.mydomain.com', 443, true, 'HDtest', 'nndwpoxl00yj0dboqcn3gr3m', true, true, 1, '', false);

It does not work and in the developer console for the browser I see this:
unreal_html5_player_script_v2.js:1 WebSocket connection to 'wss://video.mydomain.com/HDtest/sid:nndwpoxl00yj0dboqcn3gr3m' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
_0x4be8x81 @ unreal_html5_player_script_v2.js:1
_0x4be8x74 @ unreal_html5_player_script_v2.js:1

When using port 5119 we get this:
unreal_html5_player_script_v2.js:1 WebSocket connection to 'wss://video.mydomain.com:5119/HDtest/sid:ethhgqznhszbszazo0y4v4xs' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
_0x4be8x81 @ unreal_html5_player_script_v2.js:1
_0x4be8x74 @ unreal_html5_player_script_v2.js:1

Tried both both session based and anonomous authentication.

Have also tried to play the stream through Streaming Media Player on the same computer as MediaServer but get the error message "Media Server doesn't respond" when protocol is set to HTTPS (port 443). Same stream works fine for TCP, RTP (UDP) and HTTP (port 5119).

Any ideas on where the problem is?

Thanks
geirhh

Re: Unable to play stream with HTML5 player using HTTPS

Postby admin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3489

Your issue seems to be related to simple connectivity - do you have port 443 open in the firewall?
Also, as the above thread mentions, make sure you don't have conflicts over port 443 - it may be that IIS or some other app took this port before Unreal Media Server, so Unreal Media Server cannot listen on this port.
In this case your application event log will have an entry complaining about it.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to play stream with HTML5 player using HTTPS

Postby geirhh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

Most likely my problem was related to IIS grabbing port 443. Removed the binding for 443 in IIS and it started working.

Again, thanks!
geirhh

Return to Playing with HTML5 MSE Player