Quick Start and Stop of Live Program

Various experience with applications based on Live Server

Quick Start and Stop of Live Program

Postby mndudek » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm used to using FME to stream a live production with, and it has a start and stop button that allows you to interrupt and restart the stream very easily without disconnecting from the server (and the audience clients). Is there a way to do that with the Unreal Live Media Server? It seems the only way is to disconnect, then one must enter the password to reconnect again...
Could one disable the password requirement? (I stream over an AT&T cellular device, so it's DHCP, not a fixed address.)
mndudek

Re: Quick Start and Stop of Live Program

Postby admin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:35 am

You can just disable the live source with Live Config.
This is the same as disconnect though.

The better is to disable live broadcast on the Media Server side. It will cause disconnect too, but the difference is - once you enable it again, your Live Server will automatically connect to it immediately.

You can also automate the connection process, look at our AutoReconnect executable in SDK package.

But we can't drop the password requirement, otherwise anybody who knows the broadcast alias, will be able to connect their Live Server to Media Server.
admin
Site Admin

Postby mndudek » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I understand about the password, and I'm not a programmer so the SDK isn't much help to me. This brings to mind one more question, can the Media Server, which is hosted in the cloud, be accessed by the laptop that is running the Live Server and video camera capture devices? In other words, if I install the Media Server on the laptop, could the UI for that service be pointed at the service on the hosted server instead of the local service on the laptop so that I can start/stop and reconfigure the Media Server service on the hosted server?
mndudek

Postby admin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes and no.

Have you played with delegate live broadcasts yet?
Yes you can have a Media Server on your laptop, and the cloud-hosted Media Server will connect to it (you create a delegate live broadcast on a cloud-hosted Media Server). But I don't think it buys you anything.

You don't need to be a programmer for some parts of the SDK. The SDK has a LiveReconnect.exe that accepts parameters such as Alias and Password, you can create a simple batch file so you run it - and you are connected.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Live applications