Live Server on Windows 10

Various experience with applications based on Live Server

Live Server on Windows 10

Postby ianjl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:23 am

Hi

I am successfully using Live Server and Media Server to broadcast Live streams from various capture devices in a PC running Windows 7 Pro. However, the same configuration running on Win 10 Pro, on the same PC (different hard discs) does not work.

When I right-click the Live Source in ULiveSrcConfig, a Streaming Media Player window opens and tries to connect but I get an error message "Error receiving data from Server". Also, I can see that the server status in ULiveSrcConfig briefly goes to stopped (red) and indeed, Windows Event Viewer shows a System log, Event ID - 7031 "The ULiveServer service terminated unexpectedly".

I have ensured that ports 5119, 5120 and 5130 are in use only by UMediaServer/ULiveServer and that Windows Firewall and Defender are disabled.

Is there something different about Win 10 that I need to consider?

Thanks in advance

Windows 10 Pro v10.0.15063
Media Server v12.0
Live Server v9.5
Streaming Media Player 7.1
ianjl

Re: Live Server on Windows 10

Postby admin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:36 am

Hello,

For testing, change your video encoding from h264 to something else, for example, WMV codec. See if Live Server stops crashing.
If this helps, then it's a problem we know about; it's quite rare and it happens on European Windows only.
It is related to h264 encoding.
You system misses msvcrt.dll in system32 or SysWOW64 folder. Try to copy it from another Windows 10 machine, or from your Windows 7.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ianjl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply.

Changing the codec to WMV allowed the video to play so that seems to point to the issue you are aware of. However, when I replaced the msvcrt.dll files in system32 and SysWOW64 with copies from a working Win 7 machine the problem didn't go away by simply restarting the Live Server service. Unfortunately, when I restarted the PC it failed to boot and it now seems to be unrecoverable so I'll need to do a rebuild.

Do you know if it happens to a particular installation i.e. if I reinstall, might the problem go away? or if it's the installation media i.e. if I get a different build or language distribution of Windows 10, will that fix it?

Thanks.
ianjl

Postby admin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 am

Sorry for the trouble.

How did you manage to overwrite msvcrt.dll in system32 and SysWOW64 folders, if they are used by OS?
I wasn't aware they are used by OS. So you should be able to boot in safe mode and replace these files back.

Also, I only meant 32-bit version, as Live Server is 32-bit application.
So on 32-bit Windows this file will be in system32; on 64-bit Windows this file will be in SysWOW64;

My advice to copy this file from Windows 7 machine is probably wrong; you need to copy the file (only 32-bit version) from another Windows 10 installation.
If you don't have it, we can send it to you.

If you just reinstall Windows 10, the problem will likely go away, yes. We have hundreds of users (or maybe thousands) running Live Server on Windows 10 without problem.
This issue is not related to OS - we had similar complaints from Windows 7, and it was always some strange version of msvcrt.dll.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ianjl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

No problem, thank you for the quick responses.

It allowed me to overwrite the files having taken ownership and changed the permissions, but now it won't let me into safe mode, it tries to boot, fails then drops straight into repair/recovery.

Anyway, it's not a problem, this is a test machine so it's not being used for anything else, I'll rebuild it and try again.

Thanks, and I'll let you know what happens.
ianjl

Postby ianjl » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am

Hi again.

Well I have rebuilt the PC and reinstalled the required software and unfortunately it still displays the same behaviour. I have also tried an updated version of Win 10 Pro build 1703 from MSDN, but it is the same.

Digging a bit deeper, we are not using h264 but MP4V via FFDShow, so this may not be the exact issue you initially thought it was. We have a few very old and odd video formats to support so I think we are using FFDShow with various transforms to accommodate non-standard sizes and formats. My apologies for being a bit vague but I did not do the set up of the original prototype.

Is there anything else I can try?
ianjl

Postby admin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:55 am

Oh, that is a different issue indeed. To confirm, change your encoding to h264 and make sure the Live Server stops crashing.

So my understanding is that you are using custom encoding, specifying custom DirectShow name (ffdshow) in Live Config?
Is that correct?
Then, it is indeed a problem of FFDshow. Maybe it misses one of the dependencies it needs?
Maybe you need to upgrade it to a version supported on Windows 10.
Also, try to change the account under which the Live Server runs, to local administrative account (instead of System account).
We have seen ffdshow not liking to run under System account.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ianjl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 am

Yes that's what we're doing and if I change to h264, it works OK. We are already running ffdshow under a local admin account as we had that problem in the past.

I have updated to the latest version of ffdshow (rev. 4532) but now I get "No video decoder found to decompress this video stream - UNKNOWN CODEC". Does this suggest that the encoder is working OK but now the player cannot decode it?
ianjl

Postby admin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Yes it means that ffdshow is encoding with some strange codec (not MP4V as before).
admin
Site Admin

Postby ianjl » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:10 am

OK, thanks. Think I'll need to go back to first principles with this. Thanks again for your help.
ianjl

Next

Return to Live applications