h264 DirectShow encoder

Various experience with applications based on Live Server

h264 DirectShow encoder

Postby davy1960 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 am

Hi
I'm trying to do a screen capture broadcast, eventually through media server/HLS to iPads. I use the built in software encoder (set as high/5.1).
The display I am trying to transmit is a set of graphs and a number of the straight horizontal lines are missing. They can be made to appear by moving the window being sampled.
I presume it is something to do with the sampling in the encoder. Is there a DirectShow filter that can give me High 4:4:4 Predictive Profile (Hi444PP, 244)? Alternatively any lossless options.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
davy1960

Re: h264 DirectShow encoder

Postby admin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 am

Hello,

For ScreenCapture, resizing the original frame may result in something like you describe.
You will need to capture, encode and playback at the same resolution, otherwise 1-pixel lines may disappear.
So make sure that you encode the original frame without resizing. And yes, use the best encoding profile and high encoding bitrate.

If you think the lines disappearances are caused by H.264 codec, change the codec to VC1(WMV) and play with our Streaming Media Player to make sure.
For now, Live Server does not offer choosing High 4:4:4 Predictive Profile.
But we are working on adding Intel QuickSync H.264 codec to a new version of Unreal Live Server and that one may solve issues like this. (planned to be released April 2017).
admin
Site Admin

Re: h264 DirectShow encoder

Postby davy1960 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks for the info.
I had a similar issue last year that I solved my making the capture size exactly the same size as the display on the iPad. So that would be a good suggestion.
Unfortunately, as you may suspect, I had already done that.

I would be interested in the Intel QuickSync option, especially if it is on its way quite soon. Unfortunately the selection of DirectShow options for the better more modern codecs is quite limited.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Dave
davy1960

Return to Live applications