Streaming FLAC

Various experience with applications based on Live Server

Streaming FLAC

Postby jjmorrish » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:55 am

Hi guys,

With unreal media server, how do i get it to stream FLAC or is it even possible?
Currently i am streaming .mp3 @128kbs but the 16khz cut off with mp3 isn't ideal for the application i am using it for, ideally i need up to 24Khz.
I'm not streaming music, im streaming audio captured from hydrophones in the ocean and analysing it in near real time with a spectrogram and other software.

I have considered using .wav or .wma but there are just to higher bit rate for our satellite link to deal with. My understanding is they are uncompressed formats, and as a result i get lots of breaks and or loss of connection in the audio stream.
From what i have been reading FLAC is a compressed format 40% - 60% but can be decoded to achieve 0 loss in signal.

If you have any other suggestions on formats or ways i could stream audio up to 24Khz i would love to hear it.

Many thanks, James.
jjmorrish

Re: Streaming FLAC

Postby admin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:13 am

Of course it's possible to stream FLAC audio; the server side is ready to stream it; on the client (player) side you need to install a FLAC decoder.
I have ffdshow installed and FLAC audio files play just fine via Unreal Media Server.
admin
Site Admin

Postby jjmorrish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 am

[quote="admin"]Of course it's possible to stream FLAC audio; the server side is ready to stream it; on the client (player) side you need to install a FLAC decoder.
I have ffdshow installed and FLAC audio files play just fine via Unreal Media Server.[/quote]

Hi thanks for the reply.

Its not a file we are trying to stream its input from the line-in on the pc we are streaming, so we need to encode it in real time. Is that possible?

Thanks.
jjmorrish

Postby admin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:34 am

Unreal Live Server can encode with any codec that's done as DirectShow transform filter.
So you need a FLAC DirectShow encoder. The only thing I could find is http://www.xiph.org/dshow/
It installs a FLAC codec, but doesn't work on my 64-bit system. Try it yourself. With Live Server Configurator, choose custom encoding for your audio line-in, and specify
"Xiph.Org FLAC Encoder" as Encoder DirectShow name.

Not sure if you need to go through all this trouble with FLAC. You just need a high-quality stream with not too much compression - use high-bitrate mp3/wma profiles: 190 kpbs or higher.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Live applications