Is it possible to view, pause, rewind live red "tivo-style?

Various experience with applications based on Live Server

Is it possible to view, pause, rewind live red "tivo-style?

Postby newclique » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:13 am

I searched all through the forums and read the sdk and couldn't quite figure out if any products allow rewinding live video and then jumping back to the live / most recent video. It sort of looks like the stuff in the api regarding the sampling of media might do it but I wasn't sure. I'm looking at doing a commercial install for this sort of thing and need a product that supports this. I have the other products (live, media svr and archive svr) up and running and they do everything else I would need.

Thanks.
newclique

Re: Is it possible to view, pause, rewind live red "tivo-sty

Postby admin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 am

We don't offer anything like this; you could probably create your custom Flash player that does that; check with JW player, may be they offer something like that.
admin
Site Admin

Postby newclique » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 am

Thank you for the prompt response. This is a very hot item in media archiving now. We are looking at products like Kaltura, the Netflix opensource API, Windows Media APIs, Wowza and others that claim they do it. I've tried Wowza and it does work although I am not a big fan of how it is implemented.

If you think this is something you may be adding in the future - I really love the simplicity of your management interfaces which are much better than Wowza - I could go ahead with recommending UMS in the hopes it will be added. I really think that one feature (I know it is a huge technical challenge) would put UMS on par with all of the other massively expensive products.

Thanks again.
newclique

Postby admin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for suggestion. I don't exactly understand how this could be related to "media archiving", but I can understand it can be a helpful feature.

But once again, I think, it is a player feature. Or am I mistaken? When you rewind live video on the player, is there any calls to server to fetch this video? The server should cache some last 5 minutes (for example) of live video and return it to the player? It that how it works?

Or, the player itself caches last 5 minutes video, and everything is done on the player side without making any server calls? If this is the case, then, you should understand a simple thing:
If Kaltura, JW or any other "streaming" product which is really just a fancy Flash player, can do that already with a live RTMP stream, then it will be able to do that with our server as well.
It gets live RTMP stream from Unreal Media Server and then does all that on the player side.

Please advice.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Live applications