Live events and Websockets

Various experience with applications based on Live Server

Live events and Websockets

Postby goes@tecnodes.nl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 am

Hello,

We are looking for a live streaming solution with a latency from about 1 second.
Currently we are streaming through a CDN provider where the encoder is directly connected to an ingest point. The clients are flash based.
Due to the phasing out of Flash we are looking for websocket based HTML5 streaming. Our first impression is that the Unreal media Server is an excellent product.
At the moment we have 2 questions.

We installed the Unreal media server and managed to get your flash based client from the demo page up and running.
We configured he HTML5 player from de demo page for our server, but we are not able to view the stream. We enabled websockets in the Servermanager->IIS->Application development.
Configuration flash player: 'rtmp': 'rtmp://10.10.0.34:5119/live/auction', (works)
Configuration HTML5 player: RunPlayer("UnrealPlayer1", 800, 450, "10.10.0.34", 5119, false, "auction", "", true, true, 1, "", false);
The status of the player hangs on "Connecting..."

Does anybody have a suggestion ?

Thank you for the streams on the example pages. They are very convenient.
We have opened 3 examples : HTML5, Flash and the streaming media player. The flash player is lagging a bit more than 1 second behind the Streaming Media Player. The HTML5 player is just after connetion less than a second behind the Streaming Media Player; very good. But it adds every 30 mintutes around 5 seconds latency.
Is this normal and how can it be avoided?
goes@tecnodes.nl

Re: Live events and Websockets

Postby admin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 am

Hello,

Your HTML5 player configuration looks OK, not sure why it's stuck on "connecting"...
Configure the webpage to point to our demo broadcast, does it work? (same browser same computer)
Also, you don't need to configure websockets in IIS; Unreal Media Server has nothing to do with IIS.
What is key-frame frequency on the stream? Try to set it to 1-2 seconds, see if it helps.
Does it work from other computers/browsers?

As for increasing latency, unfortunately, it can happen with some browsers; we have notices that latency doesn't grow in Edge as much as in Chrome.
Also, you can always jump to real-time periodically:
http://umediaserver.net/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =28&t=3478
admin
Site Admin

Postby goes@tecnodes.nl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:41 am

Hi admin,

Thank you for your quick answer. HTML5 player question solved!
I reconfigured your sample HTML5 player page. What I didn't tell you is that I openend it as filesystem html file to test :-).
I placed the page on a webserver did the trick. Sub second latency on the local network!!
[edit with the Flash media encoder. This is no option, because it has no aac audio encoding. We see that with FLME that the player is at the start of the buffer. With OBS as encoder the current position is 1 sec behind. ]

I think that periodically jump to real-time will do for us (if it doesn't incur much flicker).

Now we are truggeling with certificates. I will serach the forum for it.

Thanks.
goes@tecnodes.nl

Postby admin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Yes, of course you need to load the webpage from web server, not directly from your hard drive :)

As for secure websockets:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3489
admin
Site Admin

Postby goes@tecnodes.nl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:49 am

There is still a lot to learn. Until then nothing is obvious :-) (even how to place smilies)

I have still no luck with secure websockets.

What I have:
A certificate with a FQDN from a CA tested on IIS. 2 .pem files made with openssl placed in the same directory as the unreal .pem files and are configured in UMS. The FQDN resolves in the localnetwork to the local IP of the media server. On the internet it resolves to the external IP. The secure connection port of UMS is set to 4430 the unsecure port is the normal 5119. Firewall of de UMS machine is opened for these ports and the router has port forwarding for these ports.
I have a local develop machine with a Webapp on "localhost" and a Azure Webserver where the same Webapp is published. The HTML5player javascript and CSS are included in the Webapp.

My results with HTTP and websockets:
On Chrome and IE11 the players works both from the inside and the outside (with very low latency!!). In Edge I got the message "error: Websocket connection is closed or could not be established". On the Edge console: " WebSocket Error: Network Error 12029"

My results with HTTP or HTTPS and secure websockets :
None: all browser have the error: "error: Websocket connection is closed or could not be established"
I checked the eventviewer->Application log and the log of UMS but couldn't find anything.

Do you have any suggestion where to look or what to test, for those two problems?

In Edge due to Goolgle search result on the errornumber i enabled "loopback" but did not solve any problem.

Thank You in advance
goes@tecnodes.nl

Postby admin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:52 am

Hello,

It seems like your browsers cannot validate your certificate; also, did you update the secure webpage with port 4430 etc...?

Also, don't use "localhost" - use ip address instead; with secure websockets you cannot use "localhost"

You can write Team Viewer details to our tech support email : techsupport@umediaserver.net
so we can login and help you.
admin
Site Admin

Postby goes@tecnodes.nl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for the support,
My .pem files containded carriage return/line feed as line termination. After I removed the 0D UMS ssl errors started to appear in Windows eventlog.
I recreated the cert and key .pem files and all is working now!!!!
I tested with Live Server as video source: almost real-time audio and video. Great!!!
FLME and OBS have a latency off around 1 sec. Also very acceptable.

I converted the pfx file on : www.sslshopper.com. This site has some handy SSL tools. Convert your pfx, cut the Key form the resulting to a new file and bingo (or should I say "BOOM" ?)

Thank you

Jan van der Goes
goes@tecnodes.nl

Return to Live applications