Could a network disk be the repository of Archival server?

Problems with Archival Server

Could a network disk be the repository of Archival server?

Postby frankchen » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi, admin,
As subject described, could I use a network disk, like NAS, as the repository of Archival Server? How about the performance? Do you agree with doing this?

Thanks for your reply.
frankchen

Re: Could a network disk be the repository of Archival serve

Postby admin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Yes, sure. Note that when you install Archival Server, you can choose an account under which the Archival Server service will run.
You can choose Network Service account for archiving in NAS.
admin
Site Admin

Postby frankchen » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 am

Hi,
A wired thing happened, Archive server seems can't use NAS disk.
I did the following things:
step 1:
install archive server and select network service.

Step 2:
In my NAS disk which has been mounted on the archive server(mount on Z:\), in it's security tab, add "NETWORK SERVICE" user/group and assign full control permission on it.
Step 3:
Add a new live broadcast in archive server config window, then set "storage setting" with "z:\playback".

Step 4:
select "start archiving" for that live broadcast, after a few seconds, it tells "system can't find specified path" error.

Please help to find out what the problem is? Thank you for your kindly help.
frankchen

Postby admin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi,
you cannot use network drive mapping. The mapping is per session. When you map network drive to logical disk (Z: in your case) you create this mapping for interactive logon session. Archival Serer is running in different session (unless you're on XP), where such mapping does not exist, hence "system can't find specified path" error.

Try using UNC path instead. Make sure Archival server runs under NETWORK SERVICE.
If your NAS device uses authentication, server will not be able to use it.
admin
Site Admin

Postby frankchen » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi Admin,
I am still struggling with using NAS disk for the repository of Archival server. But now I got a strange problem.
Originally, I have a server installed both Media Server and Archive server together. It has been working for a long time, and everything is fine. It can record media files normally.
In order to try NAS feature, I reinstalled Archive server, this time I select "Network Service" when I did this, and try to use NAS as my repository. As I mentioned above, I failed to do this. So, I reinstalled Archive server again, and back to select the first installation option that I don't remember what it is. When I have done, I managed to assign local disk as the repository, back it to the origin. But It seemed not work anymore, even everything looks fine, a red triangular indicator shows on Archival server's config window. But no record files be produced. So, what is the problem? Something what I missed? Please kindly help me.

Thanks!!
frankchen

Postby admin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:57 am

Instead of re-installing, you can go to administrative tools->services, find Archival Server service and change the account there.
Also, after re-install make sure that the password for media server is still correct in the configuration.
admin
Site Admin

Postby frankchen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:25 am

Hi Admin,
Sorry for my mistake, Please just don't care about my previous post.
This post is my new question:

Many thanks for your clue on this. Now my Archive Server can access NAS disk via UNC path.

But I am facing another trouble. Let me describe as following:
1. Setting Archive Server via UNC path to store recored files into NAS disk, that is working fine.
2. Create a virtual folder in File Resources node in Media Server, setting a name for it, then click "Browse" button to select the network folder mounted by step 1, now I can see a "Z:\" shown on textbox.

3. Now every thing is ready for moving forward, but when my web user try to pull a rtmp vod streaming via media server, they got a error message "File not found on the server".
We've try to do any kind of permission setting for remote accessing VOD files on that disk, but we still failed.

Please give me any hint to fix it.

Thinks a lot in advance.
frankchen

Postby admin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:43 am

Same thing. Change Unreal Media Server account to be Network Service account or local administrative user account that has access to this network drive.
Do not use Z:\ but browse to network folder so that you have a UNC path in the configuration of virtual folder.
admin
Site Admin

Postby frankchen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Admin,
Forgive me didn't describe clearly.

My problem is:
In Media server, when I do the "virtual folder setting" in "File Resources", I know I should input a UNC path, but the input textbox in the right side of "Browse" button is disabled, I can't type anything on it. I can just click that "Browse" button then select a network disk. So, Why don't you enable that textbox? then I can type UNC by myself.

When I do the same thing in Archive server, I can type a UNC path in the "storage setting" step.

Thanks again!!
frankchen

Postby admin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:16 pm

By clicking on "Browse" button you can navigate to network folder and that will populate UNC path in the textbox.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Archival Server