Live server and active connections limit

Problems with Unreal Media Server

Live server and active connections limit

Postby ziggiest » Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 am

Hello,

I use Unreal Live server (free latest version) with 2 Osprey's 460e cards on a windows 2012 R2 x64 Machine and I send the outputs to one Unreal Media server (purchased latest version).
The problem is located on the live server. Although I can add 8 media sources from the 2 Osprey cards to the Live server without any problem, I can only have 7 concurrent active connections to the live server. It does not matter which one I will choose to connect, but when the connections are 7 (one connection to easch media source) and I try to connect to the 8th, I get the error "Error receiving data from Server".

Even if I select the 8th media source and I choose "Preview Live Source", I get the same error. Of course, the same error comes up from the media server.

Is there any limitation on the active connection of the live server?

Thank you.
ziggiest

Re: Live server and active connections limit

Postby admin » Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 am

There is no any limitation, but did you monitor your CPU/memory utilization when you have 7 active encodings going on?
It may be that you are close to 100% and simply don't have enough resources.

Also, just for troubleshooting, change the encoding from H264 to, say WMV. Try all 8 sources then. It may be that the problem exists only for H264 encoding, or the problem exists when you are just capturing all 8 sources.
We have seen this problem before and that usually means you don't have enough system resources for additional encodings.

Note that the latest Live Server (v10) can use GPU H264 encoding, with Intel QuickSync or NVidia; you need to have the appropriate CPU/graphics card, if you have it, try it.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ziggiest » Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 am

Hello admin and thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did monitor CPU/memory utilization on the server and it seems ok. ( https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/2015 ... mccPAl.jpg )

All the sources are encoded into VC1 and although I tried that, I will try to encode the first ones into H264 to see what happens.

I know about QuickSync and Nvidia on the latest version but I think that Osprey's do all the transcoding in my case.
ziggiest

Postby admin » Wed May 30, 2018 9:28 am

Your Osprey card is a video capture card - it has nothing to do with transcoding or encoding - it only provides uncompressed raw video.
You are using Live Server to encode.
Now, when all the sources encode VC1, can you run all of them?
admin
Site Admin

Postby ziggiest » Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 am

You are right!
I changed the settings of 1 stream and I forced it to encode to h264 with lower frames/bandwidth/resolution and all of them work.
The next days I will install an Nvidia GPU with CUDA on this server to see if there are any differences.

I still can't understand what resources are needed since my CPU works on 60% and my RAM on 20%.
ziggiest

Return to Experience and troubleshooting