RTSP output

Supported devices, issues and experience

RTSP output

Postby robert » Fri May 06, 2016 10:52 am

HI

Is RTSP output currently supported as a delivery protocol using Unreal Media Server?

If the answer is no, are there any plans on supporting RTSP as a delivery protocol?

What can I do if my decoder supports only RTSP?

Thanks
Robert
robert

Re: RTSP output

Postby admin » Fri May 06, 2016 11:08 am

Hello,

No, RTSP output is not supported, and there are no plans to add it, because it's quite a rare request; RTSP is fading out and we have not seen a decoder yet
that supports RTSP only. Normally, decoders/STBs will also support at least MPEG2-TS; modern decoders also support RTMP and HLS.

If your decoder supports RTSP only, you could run ffmpeg or VLC player in between of Unreal Media Server and your decoder. ffmpeg would ingest RTMP or MPEG2-TS from Unreal Media Server and send to your decoder via RTSP.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Guillermo.A.D » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 am

If it helps.

We are also interested in RTSP output.

Actually, as RTMP is flash only, I would say that the one fading out is rtmp... given so, until WebRTC really spreads and gets supported, only RTSP is available for real time video.
Guillermo.A.D

Postby admin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:41 am

Guillermo,

Our HTML5 streaming via Websockets is close to real-time as well.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Guillermo.A.D » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:42 am

I have not try it.

Our application is not "web based" but .NET.

And Ums ActiveX is not an option due to issues with mosaics with multiple players running at the same time mixing frames, freezing, or becoming black screens. (already commented in other posts)
Guillermo.A.D

Postby admin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:14 am

Alias,

As communicated before, it's not clear why you are having these mixing and freezing issues. There can be two reasons:
1. Poor graphics card - you can try to increase graphics card memory in BIOS settings and/or update graphics card driver.
2. Corrupt DirectShow hardware acceleration - run DxDiag, see if you have any errors.
3. Strange c# code in your app. Notice EnableVisualStyles() in program.cs - your c# app needs to have that too. c# Wizard puts it by default.

I just spent exactly 5 minutes writing a 4-heads c# player. Created Windows forms app with Visual Studio 2015 (any VS version you can do the same), added UMediaPlayer control to a toolbox (used COM objects tab), dropped 4 players on the form. In Form_OnLoad I have called same methods for all 4 player controls - to play a broadcast "webcam" from localhost. Created x86 build configuration, as I only have 32-bit player on my machine. Our SDK also has 64-bit player components, so you could run in 64-bit mode too. Built the app.

It works great showing 4 players, no freezes or any other issues.

I have uploaded the whole project to
http://umediaserver.net/exchange/4HeadsPlayer.zip
admin
Site Admin

Postby Guillermo.A.D » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 am

In every test we are consuming 2 different AXIS cameras for a long time period, 24-48 hours, in the same video mosaic. The video gets delayed (sometimes seconds, sometimes hours), blacked (tile is dark) or frozen (still image) and sometimes frames from one tile are shown in another tile.

Most of the tests have been done with the NVIDIA NVS510 hardware.
Running DxDiag in the developer machine shows no errors.
At the beginning we thought to be a code issue because our application is WPF native and in order to host all players we had to use a WindowsFormsHost. But we were able to reproduce those issues with the provided C# sample application (that comes with the Unreal SDK and is Winforms native) by dropping more players into the mainform (Compiled using VS2017). So we discarded code issues.

We were able to reproduce those issues in multiple machines and multiple operative systems (From Windows 7 to Windows 10). The player came into production and many clients have reported those issues. So, if it is a DirectShow or hardware configuration, it is a very common configuration.

The player is also behaving weird when moving it around in a multi-screen environment or when user locks the windows session.

It could be a codec issue because we need to install many other video providers SDKs (Genetec SDK, Vitamin Control, ...), but we haven't being able to identify this to be the cause of the problem.

So far we have find no other way to solve the problem. We have even try to embed flash players and consume rtmp streams but those players also have some performance issues.
If the server could support RTSP it opens the option to test some other players and still maintain the use of Unreal Server part. (which clients already paid for)
Guillermo.A.D

Postby admin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 am

So to find out why you have these freezing and delaying issues, you would need to test on a clean machine, without all these codec packs and 3-rd party provider SDKs installed.

Note that our player does not install any codecs or anything else that can interfere with other applications. Windows built-in decoders decode the stream and Windows built-in video renderer plays the stream.

Yes, certainly, if these 3-rd party provider SDKs install DirectShow components such as video renderers/decoders, then anything can happen.
You should avoid installing these.

So take the C# player from the SDK, or the 4-heads c# player and run it on a clean machine. Make sure CPU is not overloaded. That will be a good test.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Playing on Mobile Devices