Media Server 9.5 on XP

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

Media Server 9.5 on XP

Postby clkclk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:55 am

Hi

I have an XP machine that I haven't used for a while. It had media server and live server running really well.

I have just switched it on and upgraded Media Server and Live server to the latest version of 9.5

When I go into media server and try to check and settings, nothing happens for about 20 or 30 seconds and then I get an error message saying "unable to access user manager". But then it lets me make changes to settings, or view settings etc. But then the error pops up again but the changes are made. Also when I try and start the media server I get the message that the server is starting (yellow) then just goes back to a stopped state and this is verified by using Unreal Mesdia player from a remote device that tells me the media server is stopped.

When I did the upgrades to the media and live servers and it asked me if I wanted to delete my configuration files I said no because I assumed that the servers would pick up my cameras, playlists etc - which they do. Could it be the original config files that I didnt delete could be causing theis problem.

If it is not the config files causing the problem, please can someone give me some pointers as to what I might look at as to why I get this error message and why I can't start the media server

Manyt hanks
clkclk

Re: Media Server 9.5 on XP

Postby admin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:53 am

For some reason the media server did not register correctly at installation time.
The easiest is to uninstall the server (keep the configuration files) and install again.
admin
Site Admin

Postby clkclk » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi

So I uninstalled and re-installed.

I still have the same type of problem.

If I try to start the server, the traffic light starts red, goes amber (server is starting), briefly goes green then keeps changing state between red and amber.

I also get the same problem of every time I go to look at the server program properties, after 30 seconds I get the "cannot access user manager" error.

Please can you advise what else I could try?

Thanks
clkclk

Postby admin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:15 am

Check your event log, there should be a message of why the server can't start.
admin
Site Admin

Postby clkclk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 am

Hi

It's not too helpful for a non techie like me.

Below I have pasted the relevent event logs

Application Event Log

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( UMediaServer ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to
display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details.
The following information is part of the event: .

System Event Log

The UMediaServer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 140 time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 1500 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Does this help diagnose the problem?

Many thanks
clkclk

Postby admin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Well, the log shows that the server crashes when starting. We have never heard of such a problem, so I suspect you must have something very strange running on your XP. Make sure the system has latest updates and antivirus.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Streaming Files