does unreal player support sdp files?

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

does unreal player support sdp files?

Postby tonkaxl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:09 am

I have a private network where we have setup a broadcast server. The multicast sessions are described in sdp files that are hosted on a web server ( not the media server or linked to the media server ). I have been looking over the forum all day trying to find any hint as to how to setup the player or plugin to initiate multicast via a sdp file. I've seen it work with VLC, but I was hoping to try unreal. Can anyone point me to the documentation on how this can be done?

If it can't be done, can anyone point me to a post or FAQ that describes how to view a multicast broadcast via the player or plugin? All the examples I have seen are for unicast, http, or simply viewing hosted files.
tonkaxl

Re: does unreal player support sdp files?

Postby admin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 am

No, Unreal Player does not support SDP files.

To play Multicast streams, you open a player, select RTP(UDP) protocol and check "Multicast" checkbox.
admin
Site Admin

Postby tonkaxl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi Admin,

Thanks for the response. The problem is I am trying to use a Darwin Streaming Server(DSS) that someone else setup, and I'm not able to look at the config. I have a couple of hopefully simple yes/no questions that will help me to keep my sanity...

If DSS is broadcasting the multi-cast stream, I am assuming I can choose either "Play Live Broadcast" or "Play Playlist", which then allows me to select "Multicast" and "RTP(UDP)"?

Do I then provide the IP of the machine where DSS is running ( and not the actual IP of the multicast stream) ?

I am assuming that "Virtual Folder Name" is the alias for the live broadcast or the virtual directory for the playlist. Is this specific to the unreal server, or is this a common config requirement in any broadcast server?

Hope I'm not asking question that have been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find the answers...

Thanks in advance...
tonkaxl

Postby admin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:50 am

Why in the first place would you think that Unreal Streaming Player will play rtsp streams from Darwin?
It will not.

Unreal Streaming Player plays only streams sent by Unreal Media Server over UMS protocol - our own streaming protocol.

Unreal Media Server also streams with MMSH and RTMP protocols, so that you can use Flash/Silverlight players, but only in Unicast mode.
admin
Site Admin

Postby tonkaxl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply... I had read that the player understood the proprietary protocol that unreal server provides, but I didn't catch that it didn't support the other... thanks again!
tonkaxl

Return to Streaming Files