umedia being a bit sketchy

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

umedia being a bit sketchy

Postby chrissinc » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:27 pm

It seems that I get this once and a while.

The stream will work fine for a very long time. Then I'll close the window and then try to reconnect but all I get is a black screeen saying "buffering" and it will sit there doing nothing forever. However, strangly packets are still coming in. THe server is registering throughput as if the live server is streaming something to me. But there is no stream at all. THis is on any windows flavour using mms:// protocol, using server 5.5. I've looked on the server when mulitple users are watching and it seems that the bandwidth throughput will reflect the muliple users. It as if the server just "craps out" and even restarting the live server and re-connecting doesn't fix it. Eventually after much restarting and reconnecting it sort of just fixes itself. Does 6.0 fix these "crap outs". What I don't understand is why would it be pumping out packets but not show a picture or sound and be stuck on "buffering" without the usual count up to the stream (ie 10%, 37%) etc.
chrissinc

Re: umedia being a bit sketchy

Postby chrissinc » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Just as a followup if I use the umedia official plugin with a web page. It will say "connecting...." then show one frame only frozen in time. Is it just that the computer that is streaming have one bad packet and the whole house of cards collapses? Why would it only show one frame but still continue to pump out packets like its working. If I stream from another computer on an another channel it will work so it's obviously not the server. Should I upgrade it all to 6.0? We've had problems with web code on our last website and had to go back. Would the live server end be better served by upgrading the software to 6.0 and leave the server 5.5?
chrissinc

Postby admin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:00 am

You should really post this topic under "Live Server", not here.

The most probable reason for what you are seeing is insufficient bandwidth on the server, so only a fraction of a stream arrives to the client side.
However, it does make sense to upgrade to latest versions everywhere.
admin
Site Admin

Postby chrissinc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Ok thanks I'll do that but other streams play fine on the same server. Hmmm strange. I'll upgrade everything and hopefully that will fix some stuff. Like I said it only happens occasionally.
chrissinc

Return to Streaming Files