Streaming one quality recording another...

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

Streaming one quality recording another...

Postby chrissinc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 am

Hi,

I'd like to stream out on a lower quality but record it at a higher quality. Can I choose in live server the recording quality separately from the stream quality?(or two channels take from the same source?) Obviously the stream quality has to be a certain speed so people with crappy internet can stream out the video. However if I'm recording locally it can be at a much higher quality for high speed streaming later. Do I need to double up on hardware? Ie. have 2 dazzle cards with a video splitter, one channel streams at say 300k out, etc. and another channel on a second card doesn't connect to the server but can manually hit "start recording" for a higher quality archive of the video.

Ie. 2 channels:

channel 1 stream

This channel connects to the server and pumps out lets say 300k/s or whatever.

channel 1 record

This channel doesn't connect to the server but records say 600k/s or whatever.

Is this the only way or can media server record locally higher than what is being streamed?

Thanks,

Chris
chrissinc

Re: Streaming one quality recording another...

Postby chrissinc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:58 am

I forgot to say it would be a bummer to double up on hardware for 50 clients...
chrissinc

Postby admin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Unfortunately, currently there is no way. Double the hardware or split video signal is the only way.

The problem is - video encoding is a very CPU-intensive process; encoding the same video signal twice in the same time (one for recording, another for streaming) will take twice as much CPU.

However, we will think of implementing this feature in the next version.
admin
Site Admin

Postby chrissinc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 am

Thanks alot for your reply. Alot of people would be happy if you had some more record options. Maybe a record tab with length of on the fly record(up to unlimited ie. hitting stop) and different quality for recording and streaming. Hell my boss would probably relicense the fees. Thanks alot,

Chris.
chrissinc

Return to Streaming Files