MMS and Windows Media Player buffering

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

MMS and Windows Media Player buffering

Postby fixxxer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:52 am

Hi guys!
We are considering a solution to migrate to Windows 2016 server and maintain MMS streaming functionality we use(d) in Win2008 and Win2012.
I have installed the latest version Unreal Media Server 13.0 and set up the MMS server so I am able to play audio files (mms://ipaddress:1775/mediaroot/mytestfile.wma) using WMP.
Audio plays fine after initial buffering, BUT it also does buffering every time I move slider in WMP forward or backward.
Is there a way to set this to buffer entire file? Test file is really not big, so my guess it's buffering entire file with every slider move.

Same behavior was in version 12.0, so updating to 13.0 didn't solve it.
Windows Media Player is version 12 and it plays MMS normally from MS Windows Media Servives (Win2008R2 and Win2012), there's no additional buffering after loading file, I can move slider and skip audio without further buffering.
I am using free version of Unreal Media Server as I am still evaluating, can that be an issue?
Is there something I can set in UMS to solve the problem?
Playing with buffering in WMP didn't help. Again, it is playing fine from MS native Windows Media Services included in Win2008R2 and Win2012...

Any ideas?

Thx!
fixxxer

Re: MMS and Windows Media Player buffering

Postby admin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 am

Hello,

In Windows Media Player, go to Tools->Options->Performance
and select 1 second of Buffer instead of default buffering.

That should help.
admin
Site Admin

Postby fixxxer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 am

Hi!
Thanks for a quick reply.
It does help indeed, shortens the buffering to 1s (I have tried adjusting the WMP settings prior to initial posting as well).

But, using the same player and playing from MS WMS gives almost instant response from WMP (using default buffer or even 1s buffer in WMP settings).
It really is smooth in current MS WMS scenario while playing from UMS Win2016 server, even when using 1s option, degrades overall experience a lot.

Is there anything else to try? The way to buffer whole file as we are not using big files, or other alternatives...

Thx.
fixxxer

Postby admin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:48 am

The only other alternative is not to use a streaming server at all - just put your files on network shared folder
and provide links to these files.
admin
Site Admin

Postby fixxxer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:30 am

Okay, good news!
There's a workaround to actually install IIS Media Services 4.1 (meant for Windows server 2012) to Windows server 2016, as the installer just checks for the IIS version, so you just have to change the version information in registry during installation:
0. Download the IIS Media Services 4.1 installer (https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=27955)
1. Start the registry editor (regedit)
2. Navigate to the path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InetStp"
3. Change the value of MajorVersion to 9
4. Install the Media Services
5. Change the value back to 10 (decimal; A in hex)

Running mms:// instead of http:// path to wma file opens WMP and works like a charm...

Hope this helps someone, cheers!
fixxxer

Postby admin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 am

I thought that it was working fine with MS Media Services right away, but you wanted it to work the same way with Unreal Media Server.
Your last post rather belongs to MS forums, has nothing to do with Unreal Media Server.
But I am glad you solved your problem anyway.
admin
Site Admin

Postby fixxxer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:03 am

Hi,
just to clear this up, I was testing Unreal Media Server with Windows 2016 server which does not support MS Media Services.
My last post is a workaround which is not officially supported by MS.
It is working now with 2016 server, but as it's not supported might stop with next security update or service pack...
So, if UMS would work without buffering when sliding it would still be an option for us.

Thanks again for your prompt replies!
fixxxer

Return to Streaming Files