Streaming to wmp and vlc

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

Streaming to wmp and vlc

Postby lightforce » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 am

We're testing Unreal Media Server on a Windows 2012 r2 Server and we want to provide mms-links
with .wmv and .mp4-files to our students.
With the streaming media player, all works fine. But we won't that every student has to
install and configuring streaming media player, so we had to use windows media player and vlc (for Apple Mac).

Windows media player streams .wmv perfect, jumping in timeline is possible.
WMP does not play .mp4-files (one ore more codecs couldn't be found), but the same files are playable locally (?).
VLC receives .wmv and plays them, but jumping in timeline ist not possible.
VLC plays only the sound from .mp4-files. The picture keeps black.

We are using port 80.

What do you suggest, that we can provide mms-links, every student can play easy on Windows and Mac?

Thanks
lightforce

Re: Streaming to wmp and vlc

Postby admin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Hello,

mms links stream via MMS (MS-WMSP) protocol; the content is required to have WMV/WMA/MP3 encoding.
So you cannot play .mp4 files (which have h264/aac - encoded content) via mms links.

Yes, Windows Media Player can play .mp4 files locally, but not via MMS streaming.

You really cannot have a single player (except our Streaming Media Player) to play BOTH .mp4 and .wmv streaming files.
So going with mms streaming is not a good idea if you have .mp4 files.

Use rtmp (Flash) streaming instead.
You might want to transcode your .WMV files to .mp4; then you can play everything web-based with Flash player embedded in webpage;
the same webpage will work on all your MAC and Windows computers.
admin
Site Admin

Postby lightforce » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:10 am

ok, im trying in IE and in Firefox rtmp://server_IP_address:80/myfolder/mymovie.mp4
But a connection seems not to be possible. UMS streams on port 80 and the firewall should be open.

Sorry, streaming is new for my, maybe you now what i have to do?

Thank you very much.
lightforce

Postby admin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:52 am

rtmp links for files should have a word "vod" - refer to http://umediaserver.net/umediaserver/install.html
Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHUuAHioGc

So your link should be: rtmp://server_IP_address:80/vod/myfolder/mymovie.mp4
admin
Site Admin

Postby lightforce » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 am

if i put the links in browser URL, i become the message: there's no app to open rtmp. I tried this on a Server 2012 and in a new installed win 8.1 PC. Flash Player is installed on both, and Active-X filtering is disabled.
I tried also with Firefox and Flash plug-in. I tried also localy on both machines. No way.
I watched your tutorials, but i dont't want that we have to build a Webpage for each of hundred mp4 movies. The rmtp-URL simply should be pasted in Webbrowsers URL and the stream should play. So, is this possible?

Thank you.
lightforce

Postby admin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:43 am

Of course, and video tutorials show you how to do it. It's super simple, takes 1 minute to do.
Not sure what's going on. This forum has many similar posts on Flash player, look for "Flash player".
admin
Site Admin

Return to Streaming Files