MKV, multi-audio, streaming and Flash

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

MKV, multi-audio, streaming and Flash

Postby eTiMaGo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello,

We are developing a streaming system for a client who has some very specific requirements.

VOD content is kept in MKV files, these will contain the video track, as well as several audio tracks, and subtitle tracks in DVD (VOBSUB) format.

We are developing a Flash-based player, as well as Android and iOS apps, to play these files. This is easy enough in a progressive download manner with a web server.

But we are facing a hurdle. Some video files will contain up to 10 audio tracks, and even if these are encoded at 64kbps, that is going to be a lot of bandwidth wasted, especially for mobile connections. 300kbps video bitrate + combined audio bitrate of 640kbps is not logical!

I have some experience with Wowza Media Server, it has a very useful addon allowing the player to request specific audio and data tracks (i.e. you request the file with video.mp4?audioindex=1&dataindex=2). but, Wowza does not handle MKV files, and I cannot put VOBSUB subtitles into MP4s.

So, this leads me to ask the following questions about Unreal Media Server:

1) Is there such a functionality to request specific tracks contained within MKV files? If not, is that feasible through some kind of plugin?
2) Is it possible to stream video from MKV files over the RTMP protocol, to a Flash-based player?

Thanks,

Thomas
eTiMaGo

Re: MKV, multi-audio, streaming and Flash

Postby admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 am

Hello,

Is it possible to stream video from MKV files over the RTMP protocol, to a Flash-based player?

Yes, you can watch Animusic clip on our website
http://www.umediaserver.net/umediaserver/demos.html

Is there such a functionality to request specific tracks contained within MKV files? If not, is that feasible through some kind of plugin?

Currently there is no such functionality
admin
Site Admin

Return to Streaming Files