Starting the HLS Broadcast Automaticly

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

Starting the HLS Broadcast Automaticly

Postby g7npw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm after a way to start the HLS Broadcast automatic when the PC boots up.

I notice some mention of the COM interface but to be honest I have no idea how to make this work. I find the HLS a great addition to the Unreal Media package that I have been running now for years on my online amateur radio receiver.

Can anyone give me some simple instructions how to make the HLS server run all the time.

Regards Dominic

www.gb3dc.co.uk
g7npw

Re: Starting the HLS Broadcast Automaticly

Postby admin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

SDK package describes a COM interface that you need to use.
Are you able to write a simple VBScript that does that, and run this script at system boot?

Anyway, in version 10.0 which will be released in a bout a month, we will add this automatic option to the Config program.
admin
Site Admin

Postby khel973 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 am

any way to get a beta of 10 with that functionality working?

i have been testing most of the stream servers on the net and this is the one issue that is keep you from beating wowza.

if the media server is installed in a remote datacenter, i do not want to have to login to it just to start the hls stream. i need to have it start automatically when the live server connects to it.
this is for doing live remote sports video from different locations over Verizon 4g, so the push encoder is the setup we have to use.

what about transcoding two additional lower bandwidth streams for adaptive HLS? should be easy to do. I see AHLS needed for mobile/tablet where bandwidth limitations are more of an issue.

I have done live streaming for the last 5 years and a looking at our next setup(HD) for the next few years...at least until dash, html5 and other things are more common.

Mike
khel973

Postby admin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 am

Transcoding on the Media Server side is generally not a good solution: very CPU intensive, not scalable.
You really need to transcode somewhere else (ffmpeg?) or just have two IP cameras / video sources encoding at two different bitrates and uploading two separate streams to Media Server.
So Media Server can output two HLS streams, one for each stream.
admin
Site Admin

Postby khel973 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:37 pm

my dedicated server has 8 cores and nothing else to do. the goal is to limit the bandwidth over the Verizon network from the live encoder to the media server. will look at the idea of streams maybe one at 600k and one at 300k.
khel973

Postby admin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:20 am

You can transcode using VLC or FFMPEG
admin
Site Admin

Return to Streaming Files