Best Option for Web Server

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

Best Option for Web Server

Postby gregeb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 am

Hello! I've gotten everything up and running, and I must say UMS is really amazing. :) But the one question I still have is this: what is the fastest and most effecient way to stream/receive with a web server? Right now I'm using a local web server via apache w/ HLS, but there is an 8 second delay between sending/receiving. Is there a way to bring this down to around the 2.4 seconds UMS is capable of? I'd like to know.

Thank you! :)
gregeb

Re: Best Option for Web Server

Postby admin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:09 pm

First of all, to get the lowest latency in HLS, you need to specify the lowest values for duration of .ts file (1 sec) and number of .ts files to keep ( 3 ).
Then any web server will give similar results. Try IIS.
admin
Site Admin

Postby gregeb » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey, thank you so much for the help! Everything's working now. ^_^ But I was wondering for future reference--how can I test the load of my local web server to see how many users it can accommodate? Do I gauge it by the upload speed of my router or internet connection? (Also if it makes a difference all users are on the same wireless network.)

Thank you SO much!
gregeb

Postby admin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 am

By monitoring network you can see that every user's HLS player makes a new http request to web server approximately once a second, to get the next .ts file.
Now, you need to research your web server documentation - how much of these requests it can handle per second. I think - unlimited, bandwidth permitted.
Of course, you need sufficient bandwidth for all your concurrent users which you can measure by looking at the average size of .ts file.
admin
Site Admin

Postby gregeb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Okay, thanks! Does bandwidth still apply when it's in a closed local area network, or only when it's sending and receiving over the internet?
gregeb

Postby admin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Well, yes, your LAN is still 100mpbs or 1Gbps, still not unlimited speed.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Streaming Files