Playing recorded files residing on Live server

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

Playing recorded files residing on Live server

Postby gipsyblues » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 am

I am aware of the Archive Server. However, how does one play a recorded file which resides on the Liver Server through Media Server?

The other question is, does Live server over write the files for the previous day? If one sets a record time of 0700 to 0800, and leaves the input source on for several days, will Live server save the files for each new day separately?

This question arises from the use of the feature of the Live Server to specify start and end times for recording the input source to Live server. How would one request to play one of such files through Media Server?

Does any of the SDK APIs cover the creation of the above scenario?
gipsyblues

Re: Playing recorded files residing on Live server

Postby admin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Live Sever will create folders for each day and will write files there.
If your Media Server runs on the same machine, you could easily stream these files via Media Server.

You could build a simple web interface with a calendar control, that builds exact paths that Live Server builds, for each day;
then you play remote playlist (each day is a playlist) with ActiveX control.

Same about Archival Server.
admin
Site Admin

Postby gipsyblues » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. One of the issues has been resolved - the creation of a folder for each day by the Live Server. However the other issue - being able to play that content by a remote Media Server remains. The Live Server and The Media Server by necessity resides on different hardware at different physical locations. Hence from your answer, am i right to conclude that the Media Server can only play the live stream from the Live Server and not the files saved locally on the Live Server? The ability to access any of the recorded files is a requirement, hence a play list cannot be used here.

As an alternative, could one configure the environment for the Liver server to stream continuously to a Media Server and have the archive server record the stream at preset times like the Live server does and have the ability to play back any of the files recorded by the Archive Server? In this case is the Archive Server capable of differentiating between streams from different Live servers? How would one access the recorded file for a specific Live Server if only one Archive server is running on the Media Server hardware?
gipsyblues

Postby admin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 pm

You are asking all these questions instead of running Archival Server and finding out the answers yourself.

Archival Server is what you need.
admin
Site Admin

Postby gipsyblues » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 pm

I did figure that out eventually, the trouble is due to the nature of my job position I do not have the time. It is cheaper to pay someone more experienced and more familiar with this product to do the programming than me doing it myself.

All the same thanks for your pointers.
gipsyblues

Postby gipsyblues » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 pm

As per your suggestion (Admin) I did take some time off to install and "play" with the Archive Server I keep getting an error " The system cannot find the path specified". I cannot figure out what path the error message is talking about.
In Media Server v7.5 I set the same password, and port to 5121. In Archival Server for add new media server the default port was 5119. I changed that to 5121 match that in Media Server, password was identical to that in Media server. Tried with 5119 but had same results.
In add New Live Broadcast, I made sure to select the source of interest. I did not make any changes to Storage settings, Configure Metadata and Configure consumers

I appear to have set all parameters required. Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks
gipsyblues

Return to Streaming Files