issue with clearing Activity Status of "Idle"

All the issues related to streaming of recorded media.

issue with clearing Activity Status of "Idle"

Postby Timeview » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:44 pm

A question about streaming to the Unreal Server using RTMP. At times I may try snd stream an RTMP stream and I may get a Activity Status of "Idle" (It usually happens on second plus try of same stream name). Once I get this idle status I have a hard time clearing it so I can stream again to my player. I even stop the Unreal Media server and closer the interface but it may still stay Idle when I bring it back on line and try again (It may clear up on its own). Want to understand why/what this means and some consistence way to clear this"Idle so I can stream again.

Another example of this is if I switch from a Wifi connect to a LTE connect (or the other way around) we can get Unreal to work fine . But sometimes if I disconnect from WIFI to LTE I will see that Unreal will get the connect but it reports the stream as idle. If I kill my encoder I can at times start again but not always - hoping to understand what can cause the idle state and a workaround . Hoping you guys have some insights.

Thanks
Timeview

Re: issue with clearing Activity Status of "Idle"

Postby admin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Wrong forum, by the way; your post is about live streaming, nothing to do with files.

But anyway, what live encoder are you using? Unreal Live Server or Adobe FMLE?
Idle status is possible with these two encoders only. It means that the encoder is connected but not streaming.
With Unreal Live server, the idle will turn to streaming once there is a request to view or record this live stream,
coming from a player or Archival Server. With FMLE, you need to push "Stream" button to change the status to streaming.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Timeview » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:34 am

Sorry about wrong forum - I am streaming from my own iOS mobile app (using iOS LFLiveKit SDK) to Unreal Media Server. I understand how the idle state works but it seems that after I do a succusful stream I and end it, I have seen times when I try and reconnect and get an idle state (which stream fine the first few times) and I can't seem to stream again (for a while anyway). Is there a SDK call etc I can do to force this to clear? It seems even if I stop server and restart I may not be able to get idle for a while - Not sure what is going on but hoping fort a workaround.

I did fine one way (not a normal workflow) to reproduce the idle issues. If I stream to Unreal Media server from iOS app and also try to play back from same app (using KxMovie /FFmpeg iOS SDK) at the same time (would not this in real app) it will work one time. Next time when I try to Stream it will go idle and clearing it is a pain.

Thanks
Timeview

Postby admin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:55 am

So this is a question to that iOS LFLiveKit SDK, ask them.
All rtmp encoders, except FMLE, always create a connection and start streaming, so no Idle state is possible.
When you stop streaming, they stop streaming and terminate connection. If your app just stops streaming by sending an appropriate rtmp command,
but keeps a connection open, then the idle state will be shown.

The described behavior doesn't happen with any stock rtmp encoders, so it's an issue of that iOS LFLiveKit SDK, or you are using it incorrectly.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Timeview » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:01 pm

OK Thanks. Can I force a close connect from the SDK side?
Timeview

Postby admin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:53 pm

How can we know? That's the first time we hear about that SDK. Ask the SDK authors.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Streaming Files