Unreal Media Server Forum Index Unreal Media Server
ATTENTION! THIS FORUM IS READ ONLY AS OF SEPTEMBER 1 2009.

PLEASE POST QUESTIONS TO OUR NEW FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming DivX to WMP 11 over HTTP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Media Server Forum Index -> Streaming Files
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lttlscamp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Streaming DivX to WMP 11 over HTTP Reply with quote

Ok, I've installed UMS and UHttpProxy. I've combed through the forums.

Maybe I'm just daft but I can't figure out how to do what I want. It's pretty simple.

I want to stream an DiVx or any other video file to WMP 11 over HTTP.

As mentioned above I've installed UMS and UHttpProxy.

I've created a virtual dir in UMS called Test pointing to a directory with the video file in it called test.avi.

So:

Media Server => File Resources => Test => test.avi

If I point WMP directly to the virtual dir like so: mms://192.168.1.2:5119/test/test.avi (or http:// for that matter) I get connected but I only get sound. No video.

This file plays fine on both the server and the client opening the file directly in WMP so I know I have the right codecs.

So, A) Why isn't video showing up and B) how do use UMS in conjunction with UHttpProxyI to get this thing to play through WMP over HTTP?
tommybcool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) sounds like you are missing Divx codecs on the client side.
B) I don't think WMP needs IIS and UTTP proxy to play a video, I don't use them. I just tell WMP to access Media Server at http://mydomain:5119/test/test.avi and I'm looking at couple of chirping birds. If the virtual folder test with a file test.avi is setup in Media server, and your ports are open to the media server PC, it should work.
lttlscamp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely have the right codecs. As I mentioned, both files play perfectly well on the client and server when loaded directly by WMP.

As for needing UHttpProxy, I want to stream over HTTP and it suggests you use that. But I don't see any info anywhere on exactly HOW to use it. Just installing.

The test AVI works for me fine as well. As a matter of fact, if I change the listening port of the Media Server to 80 (from 5119) it seems to stream fine over port 80 but it's not necessarily using HTTP, I don't think.
osetivo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are using the default HTTP port of 80, you should remove the the default TCP streaming port (:5119) from your address.
osetivo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<cross posted>

Reconfigure your UMS's back to its default TCP of 5119 and try streaming to the Unreal streaming player using 'HTTP' and your server's ip_address w/o a port number. If it works then streaming over HTTP works and you can troubleshoot from there.

caveat, I'm not using 5.5 to do mms, so I don't know of any possible limitations regarding mms via http.
lttlscamp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the Unreal player works...so it seems to be a problem with WMP. If I use WMP and point it to http://serverip/test/test.avi it says file cannot be found. Any ideas?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

1. UHttpProxy can only be used in Unreal Streaming Media player.
2. WMP connects to port 5119 or whatever port for client connections is configured with Media Server configuration prgram
3. DivX - you have DivX 6, correct?
DiVX6 codec has this problem - it doesn't decode video when used in DMO mode (WMP only uses DMO codecs when playing ASF content).

So it's actually a DivX6 problem. Go back to DivX5 and WMP will play OK.

Note that you can play your DiVX file in WMP locally - in this case it's just a local AVI file and WMP do not employ DMO codecs.

But when you connect to Unreal Media Server, this AVI file is getting encapsulated into ASF container for MMS protocol, so WMP treats it as ASF, so it uses DMO DivX decoder which doesn't work in version 6 of DivX.

Admin
tommybcool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommybcool wrote:
I just tell WMP to access Media Server at http://mydomain:5119/test/test.avi and I'm looking at couple of chirping birds.

Whoops, I meant to say mms://mydomain:5119/test/test.avi (not http).

That was a good explanation Admin. Osetivo, you ought to upgrade to 5.5. No issues at all. You can even play your entire playlist in WMP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Media Server Forum Index -> Streaming Files All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: