Unreal Media Server Forum Index Unreal Media Server
ATTENTION! THIS FORUM IS READ ONLY AS OF SEPTEMBER 1 2009.

PLEASE POST QUESTIONS TO OUR NEW FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic Multicast question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Media Server Forum Index -> Streaming Files
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike1316

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Basic Multicast question Reply with quote

I'm embarrased to be asking what is so basic a question, but I assure you I've read every post that came up under the search of variations of "multicast" and "RTP". Every question answered seems to be more advanced than what I'm looking for.

I read in the help file that for multicasting,

"The administrator of Media Server must manually start and stop the multicasting of virtual folder, using server configuration program."

This made sense, and I found how to do this. I used the media root folder that is there already and just left the single "test.avi" file in it in order to test it out.

It's the next piece that I don't understand. It says that the client machine must connect via TCP. The server will authorize and will send multicast group information. Then the TCP communication drops and packets are then sent via RTP multicast.

I got the unicast to work just fine, because I'm just plugging in a direct url to the playlist or the file.

For multicast, I just don't know what I'm doing in order to establish the connection.

Here is the setup I intend:
Closed LAN with a multicast server serving a folder full of audio data.
Client machines will access a website with WMP embedded.
Stream will begin when client machine presses play (or something to this effect).
The stream will have been running in the background and the site will simply pop into the multicast.

I know how to do all the web stuff with WMP, so really all I'm trying to do as a test is get the WMP app on my machine to hear the multicast.

I know this is real basic, and I apologize if I've completely overlooked this information in the help file, site FAQ, or forum.

Thanks!
Mike
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't play multicast streams with WMP.
WMP can play unicast streams only.

To play Multicast streams, use Streaming Media Player,
"Play remote playlist", select multicast delivery.
And be advised that this will only work in your LAN - multicast doesn't work via Internet.

Admin
mike1316

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Ok, so I'll try some searches on using the Active X control and post up if I get stuck there. I found the info on using the player and I'll work with that. Thanks.

Kinda bummed that the ActiveX control won't work on Macs.

I do recall reading that bit about multicast only for LANs. Thanks for that. I suppose if I wanted a time-constrained unicast over the internet, I'd have to use a method I read in another thread where a live stream with a different media management software was used.

Thanks for your help. I'll read up and get back to you.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Media Server Forum Index -> Streaming Files All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: