Unreal Media Server Forum Index Unreal Media Server
ATTENTION! THIS FORUM IS READ ONLY AS OF SEPTEMBER 1 2009.

PLEASE POST QUESTIONS TO OUR NEW FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

increase initial buffer times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Media Server Forum Index -> Streaming Files
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl669

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: increase initial buffer times Reply with quote

is there any way to set the initial buffer time in either the client or the server?

I'm streaming a couple clips which begin playback very quickly on the client side (within 2-4s), but the problem is, they chew through the buffer and constantly rebuffer.

Is there any way to set a hard buffer of 10 or 15s?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're streaming Live media (camera, TV, mic, etc) configure your source to work in "buffered mode". Also you may consider choosing lower bitrates for your streams.
carl669

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, this is for pre-recorded content.

i've messed with various javascript timers to try to force the initial buffer, but none of it has worked.

any other ideas?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot change buffer size in file-streaming mode.
BTE, what is your upload speed, what files are you trying to stream - MPEG-1/2, MPEG-4, WMV? If you try to stream, for example, MPEG-2 file over 386Kbps DSL buffering will not help you much.
carl669

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm uploading on a T1 (1.5 Mbps).

I'm streaming mpeg4 files. the average bitrate of the files is about 800 kbps.
Abraham Y. Chen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Streaming multiple HD video clips, each to one client Reply with quote

The transmission medium that I am using is capable of over 70 Mbps thorughput. The video clips are about 3 minutes long each and I play them back in continuous cycles. When I stream one or two video clips, each appears to be able to buffer plenty of material before starts to play. The remaining steady state buffering can stay ahead and finishes nearly ten seconds before the playback completes. As I load up the system with more clients (up to six), every client begins to buffer much less during the initial phase. Consequently, the playback has to pause in the middle of the clip for rebuffering. It seems that the initial buffering in the client is set up with a finite time interval, so that the amount that can be buffered is in inverse proportion to available bandwidth? Is there any way to make it more adaptive to the available bandwidth, or at least force it to take a little longer time to do the initial buffering?

Abe (2007-03-16, 17:45)
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe,

Quote:
As I load up the system with more clients (up to six), every client begins to buffer much less during the initial phase

This is wrong observation. The initial bufferring amount of material for files is always the same; it will complete slower if you have less bandwidth per viewer. So if you launch 10 viewers in the same time, they will buffer longer before start playing than if you would launch 2 viewers;

During this initial buffering you will see "Connecting..." status.

After the playback has started, if the player starts buffering then it can only mean one thing - your current available server bandwidth is insufficient for the file bitrate.

You can not control the buffer size for files.

With 70 mbps you should be able to serve 70 concurrent players with 1000-kbps (about 100 kByte/sec) file.
So if you start buffering at 6-7 player, that means your real available bandwidth is 10 times less than you think it is.

Admin

Admin
Abraham Y. Chen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Increase initial buffer times Reply with quote

Somehow, I did not get the eMail notice when you replied. I just thought about checking the thread and saw your comment.
Your comment makes sense. However, my report is based on the observation through the use of a freeware, NetMeter that is intalled on both the Server and all Clients. So, I can see the UL and DL traffic on every machine in "real-time" (reported in graphic bars every second or so). When I start the first video stream, I can see that the full available (70 Mbps) is used for the initial buffering for about 10 seconds. Once this stream begins to play, its ongoing buffer-ahead drops down to around 10 - 15 Mbps. The initial buffering of the next stream peaks the Server's UL traffic to the maximum for also about 10 seconds. Then, the total ongoing buffer-ahead increases to about 20- 30 Mbps. As more and more streams are activated, the initial buffering always peaks the Server's UL to 70 Mbps for about the same amount of time while the "floor" goes up like a stair case pretty uniformly. Since the initial buffering time is always about the same while the ongoing buffer-aheads take away notable amount of bandwidth, I suspected that the amount of memory buffered initially would become smaller for new streams that are added into the same medium. This is confirmed by observing the buttom status bar once the new Client begins to play. It shows that the amount of memory stored in the Client through the initial buffering is less than the preceeding stream. Since the ongoing buffer-ahead appears to be a constant rate, the streams started latter begin to have to pause in the middle of the play to wait for re-buffering.

Your further comments and advice please.

Abe (2007-04-21, 23:49)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unreal Media Server Forum Index -> Streaming Files All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: